Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more advanced model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed relative: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- About 14% of the overall population, has hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would benefit approximately 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is extremely worrisome. Because health issues like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated loss of hearing. As a matter of fact, new research comes out all the time showing how important hearing is to your general health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain situations even reverse them).
And the final persuasive point is that hearing loss can cost the typical family $12,000 in earnings each year. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might just not be feasible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
Your used hearing aid can make an enormous impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It could also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to enter into higher education and make a livable wage when they get older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are lots of volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.